Each Saturday I will be posting one of my surnames. I will be starting with the 4 main lines – my paternal line of Farrell and Devlin and my maternal line of Marshall and Burnett, after which I will post most likely in alphabetical order using the Ahnentafel numbering system. The names in red are my direct ancestors.
This weeks surname is Marshall, my maternal grandfather's paternal line and my maternal grandmother's maternal line. These two lines are connected as my maternal grandparents were first cousins.
1. Me (Alana Farrell)
2. Robert Allan Farrell (1927-1962)
3. Rhona MacDonald Marshall (1933-2003), born 21 Feb. 1933 in Dundee, Angus, Scotland and died 8 Sept. 2003 in St. Lambert, Quebec, Canada. Rhona married Robert Allan Farrell on 15 Aug. 1953 in Balcarres, Saskachewan, Canada. They had three children (all living). Rhona is the daughter of Robert Burn Marshall and Eliza Hamilton Burnett.
6. Robert Burn Marshall, born 23 May 1871 in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland and died 12 Sept. 1935 in Dundee, Angus, Scotland. He was the son of David Fenton Marshall and Rachel Wyse Hume. He first married Margaret Roy Weir (1868-1914) on 26 Feb. 1892.
The children of Robert Burn Marshall and Margaret Roy Weir were:
· Rachel Baillie Marshall (b. 22 Nov. 1892, d. abt 1893)
· Isabella Weir Marshall (b. 17 Aug. 1895, d. 13 Oct. 1895
· Robert Wyse Marshall (b. 8 Mar 1901, d. 12 Mar 1902)
Robert Burn Marshall next married Eliza Hamilton Burnett on 23 July 1917 in Dundee, Angus, Scotland.
7. Eliza Hamilton Burnett, born 16 July 1897 in Dundee, Angus, Scotland and died 29 Mar 1943 in Dundee, Angus, Scotland. Eliza was the daughter of John Burnett (1863-1923) and Helen Leighton Marshall (1863-1929). (Side note: Helen Leighton Marshall was sister to aforementioned David Fenton Marshall).
The children of Robert Burn Marshall and Eliza Hamilton Burnett were:
· Helen Burnett Marshall (1915-2007)
· David Hume Marshall (1917-1978)
· Robert Marshall (1919-1989)
· Rachel Margaret Marshall (1922-2009)
· Albert Ferrier Marshall (1924-1926)
· Norman Wilson Marshall (1929-1989)
· Living Marshall
· (#3) Rhona MacDonald Marshall (1933-2003)
12. David Fenton Marshall, born 13 April 1847 in Alyth, Perth, Scotland and died 10 Feb 1922 in Dundee, Angus, Scotland. David Fenton Marshall was the son of Robert Marshall and Ann Kynoch. David married Rachel Wyse Hume on 12 Aug 1870 in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland.
13. Rachel Wyse Hume, born about 1851 in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland. Unfortunately, have not been able to find her year of death. Rachel was the daughter of Hugh Hume (1817-1899) and Agnes Reid (1823-1889).
The children of David Fenton Marshall and Rachel Wyse Hume were:
· (#6) Robert Burn Marshall (1871-1935)
24. Robert Marshall, born 7 October about 1819 in Alyth, Perth, Scotland and died 18 June 1981 in Dundee, Angus, Scotland. Robert was the son of George Marshall and Isabella Mitchell. He married Ann Kynoch of 26 Sept. 1841 in Alyth, Perth, Scotland.
25. Ann Kynoch, born about 1819 in Dallas, Morrayshire, Scotland and died 13 March 1885 in Dundee, Angus, Scotland. Ann was the daughter of John Kynoch and Christine Hay.
The children of Robert Marshall and Ann Kynoch were:
· Ann Marshall (1844-1913
· (#12) David Fenton Marshall (1847-1922)
· Robert Marshall (1849-?)
· John Kynoch Marshall (1851-1889)
· William Ramsay Marshall (1853-1853)
· James Grant Marshall (1855-?)
· George Smith Marshall (1858-?)
· Francis Ferguson Marshall (1860-?)
· Helen Leighton Marshall (1863-1929)
48. George Marshall, born about 1792. No further information is known on George Marshall.
49. Isabella Mitchell, born 21 Sept. 1795 in Alyth, Perth, Scotland and died 18 July 1866 in Kirrimuir, Angus, Scotland. Isabella was the daughter of David Mitchell and Elizabeth Colville.
The children of George Marshall and Isabella Mitchell were:
· (#24) Robert Marshall (abt 1819-1891)
Although George Marshall and Isabella Mitchell never married, their son Robert took the Marshall name.