Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - Sarah Maxwell (1876-1907)

I have quickly run out of my own family's tombstones, so I will be posting those that I have taken photos of this past summer.


On February 26, 1907 a fire broke out in the Hochelaga School in Montreal, Quebec. Sixteen young children perished in the fire, along with Sarah Maxwell, the school principal. She lost her life while attempting to rescue many of the children.

The inscription reads:

In Loving Memory of
Sarah Maxwell
Aged 31 yrs.

Who lost her life whilst endeavoring to save the lives of the pupils at the Hochelaga School Fire Feb. 26th 1907.

Also the little ones who perished with her.

Sarah is buried at Mount Royal Cemetery in Montreal, Quebec.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! She's a relative of mine (a sister is my great grandmother) and I haven't been able to get to Montreal yet to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome. I've also created a memorial for her on Find A Grave.

      Delete
  2. The borough of Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve would like to rename a park presently called Dézéry-Lafontaine «Sarah-Maxwell». The city is looking for any descendant of that courageous woman. I am working on an article (in French) for a web newspaper to be published shortly. I would like to know if you still have contact with that anonymous woman related to Winnie or Annie Maxwell (Ida died as a single) that posted a comment June 28, 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The borough of Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve would like to rename a park near where was the Hochelaga Protestant School presently called Dézéry-Lafontaine, "Sarah-Maxwell". We are looking for any descendant of that courageous woman. I don't know if you still have contact with that woman related to Annie, Ida or Winnie Maxwell, Sarah's sisters. On the other hand, I am working on an article (in French) on Sarah Maxwell to be published shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour André,

    Unfortunately, I have no contact with the person who posted the comment. I just happened to be at Mount Royal Cemetery and took the picture. I also have it posted on Find-A-Grave, but no one has made any comments on that memorial.

    BTW, I live in the borough of Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve.

    ReplyDelete