Wednesday, November 23, 2011

QFHS - Tracing Your Scottish Ancestors

This Saturday (Nov. 26th)  the Quebec Family History Society will be hosting a seminar called Tracing Your Scottish Ancestors.  I learned of this seminar from Chris Paton via his blog Scottish GENES and got quite excited because 1)  most of my ancestors (and step-family) are from Scotland, and 2) the QFHS is only about a 20 minute drive from where I live.

I don't belong to this society, yet, since I don't have any roots here in Quebec, having only moved here when I was 2 yrs. old.  My family is still fairly new to this country, only arriving after the first World War.  Although my step-grandparents were married in Quebec and my step-father and his sister were both born here, their roots are in Scotland and England and my mother's and father's family are all from Scotland and Northern Ireland.  For this reason, I've been reluctant to pay the $65 membership fee.  That being said, I do keep an eye out on QFHS's website for any interesting lectures or seminars (although I did manage to miss this one!)

After I read on Chris Paton's blog about the seminar, I quickly popped over to their website for further details.  Per the description on their site, "The focus of this seminar will be to examine the major Genealogical sources for Scottish Family History Research. How do I discover information on my Scottish ancestor when the church records are missing? How should you prepare if you are planning a Genealogical research trip to Scotland? There will be a case study of an average family who lived in Kirkcudbright and Wigtown area. You will be meeting the descendants of King Malcolm III of Scotland. There is more Scottish genealogical research sources than the excellent Scotlands People website."

I called up today to see if they still had room and I was in luck - they still had a few places left.

As I mentioned above, I'm quite excited.  This will be the first time I've been to a seminar/class hosted by a family history society.

Any advise on how I should prepare for this, what I should bring (i.e. family group records, research notes, etc.)?

©2011, copyright Alana Farrell

No comments:

Post a Comment