Sunday, July 7, 2013

Abstinence Tour of Robert Marshall (1819-1891) – Journal Entry of 16th October 1839

I began seriously to doubt Cummings honesty - he had given me high hopes of Kintore, as well as Inverury.  He had started a Society at Inverury he said, I only found 3 or 4 who would acknowledge the principle I could get no Church - there was a sermon in the Methodists, and they would not give me the Independents.  I got the promise of the working mens Hall from my kind host, and there I determined to lecture.

I sent the Bellman through the town who called a meeting for me.  A most miserable concern it was not about 24 were present - but I lectured about 2 hours - 2 names were added.  They have no perserverence here and it will require two or three more lectures to set the thing a going.

Typed by Betty Kay 11th May 1996, from Dan Marshall`s notes of the original journal.  Permission to reprint granted by Morris Kay, 25 June, 2012.
 
©2013, copyright Alana Farrell

No comments:

Post a Comment