Monday, July 8, 2013

Abstinence Tour of Robert Marshall (1819-1891) – Journal Entry of 17th October 1839

I  I was delighted with this ride - Strathbogie is beautiful but I have not time to describe its beauties.  The town of Huntly is delightfully situated - and excellently planned.  I was most kindly received here by a Mr. Andrews, a taylor and clothier.  His wife was particularly kind to me - everything she could conceive would make me comfortable that she instantly provided.  I had sent bills here and Mr. Maitland had writ to them of my coming.  I lectured in the Hall to a crowded and attentive audience, about 3 hours and slept in Mr. Andrews.
left Inverury with the "Duchess of Gordon" for Huntly which I reached about 5 in the evening.

Typed by Betty Kay 11th May 1996, from Dan Marshall`s notes of the original journal.  Permission to reprint granted by Morris Kay, 25 June, 2012.

©2013, copyright Alana Farrell

No comments:

Post a Comment