Monday, February 15, 2010

52 Weeks To Better Genealogy – Challenge #7

This weeks challenge for the 52 Weeks To Better Genealogy by Amy Coffin is to play around with Google Maps to determine the locations of addresses in our family history. I've used this feature before to locate places where my mother and her family lived in Scotland, before she immigrated to Canada. Unfortunately, the pictures that I saved are on my computer at work!

However, this past weekend, while working on the GB Games category, " Expand Your Knowledge", I used Google Maps to create a timeline, with a map, for my great grandfather, David Fenton Marshall. You can see the map here. While I was creating the timeline, I again used the street view to see if the buildings where he lived still existed (that's why it took me so long to create the timeline - I get so distracted when playing with things). For the most part they did, but in some instances the address no longer existed or the building was now being used as something completely differenct. In a couple of cases, there was only and empty lot. Because of his many locations (he was a travelling salesman), I'm only posting pictures of a few of the buildings.

This first picture is where he was living in April 1861. He was living with his aunt, Margaret Kynock and her family at 19 MacDowall Road, Edingburgh, Scotland. If this is the original building, which it looks like it might be, it was a really nice house! They lived where the white door is on the right hand side of the picture.


This next picture shows the general location of where he lived in August 1870, at the time of his marriage to Rachel Wyse Hume. He lived at 11 East Adam Street, Edinburgh. Unfortunately, the address no longer exists.


In May of 1871 he and Rachel were living at No. 1 Montgomery Place West, Edinburgh. It is shown in this picture where the yellow door is with the sign reading "Harlies". It looks to be all closed up now, but looks like it used to be a TV/video game store.


Skipping ahead a few years, he and his second wife, Christina Lynton, were living at 17 Caldrum Street in Dundee (where the white door is). This was were he lived at the time of his death in 1922.


Just for a little extra fun, I decided to see if I could find the house where my parents lived when I was born. Sure enough, I found it. I was surprised because the last time I checked Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan still did not have the street view available. We lived at 732 9th Ave., NW, Moose Jaw (it's the house on the corner). That is where we lived when my sister got hit by a car when she was 5 yrs. old. Right up until the last time I was there, in 2005, the house was always a greenish blue colour. The little white house next door is where my Aunt Nell (Helen Crossman, nee Marshall) lived.


I also found the house where I'm living now (for obvious reasons I won't give the address). It's a duplex. I didn't see my car parked on the street so this must have been taken while I was at work.


I enjoy working with Google Maps. I think it's a wonderful tool to be used for locating ancestral homes, creating timelines and I'm sure a whole lot more. There are many features that I haven't yet explored but plan to in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't googlemaps great? I knew most of my Portuguese relatives lived on one street in Oakland, CA from 1910 to about 1950. I was able to follow the street and get a photo of each house. Many of the turn of the century houses are still there. It's really neat to see!

    ReplyDelete